At Welford we recognise the importance of PE to the development of the whole child so our mission statement is: ‘To develop healthy minds, active bodies and a lifelong love of physical activity for EVERYONE at Welford through PE and school sport.’
In order to do this we aim to provide a balanced PE programme throughout the school so that children at different stages of physical development, of varying ability, and of either gender, have the opportunity to:
- develop competence in a broad range of physical activities
- be physically active for sustained periods of time (at least 30 minutes per day)
- succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities
- become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness
- compete in physical activities which help to build character and embed values such as fairness and respect
- lead healthy, active lives.
Children receive two timetabled sessions of PE in curriculum time per week plus a wide range of lunchtime activities and out-of-hours clubs that promote sport and children’s physical development.